My Favorite Books

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Haruki Murakami

So, by now you must know that I love fantasy novels.  I mentioned to an aquaintance that although I love them, I feel the need to read some books written for adults.  She suggested that I read Haruki Murakami, and actually said that she had read his complete works over the previous six months.  She said that they would give me the fantasy fix that I usually find in young adult series. 
So, I read Haruki Murakami's complete works last year.  His style is really fiction with some sci-fi elements.  Most of his characters lead relatively normal existences, for Japanese people living in the 1980s.  However, they somehow find themselves in unrealistic sci-fi or fantasy situations.  Since they are regular people living regular lives, they do realize the insanity of the situations in which they find themselves. 
I found myself eager to find out what happened and the reasons why these strange things were happenning.  Although I was interested, and enjoyed the reads, they didn't hook me as much as some of the young adult series I've read.  What I found annoying and sometimes infuriating is that Murakami doesn't usually explain why!  When I read mysteries, I love to try and figure out the reasons why, and love finding out all of the information in the end.  Murakami did not give me the satisfaction I was looking for.  He often just ends the story with the characters going back to their regular lives, never really giving any closure.  Nonetheless, I did always promply pick up another of his novels after finishing the previous one.  They must have provided me with something I enjoyed, moreso than just the feeling of accomplishment I sought for reading his complete works.  

No comments:

Post a Comment